Before making a hire, it’s important to use reference checks to determine if they’re a good fit, and to set clear expectations prior to extending an offer.
Once hired, you’ll want to conduct periodic check-ins within 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days to ensure your new hires are performing to the level you expect, and to check that they’re receiving the support they need to be successful in the role.
What is the 30 day review / evaluation?
A 30 day review, or 30 day employee evaluation, is a performance review (also known as a performance evaluation or performance appraisal) to ensure that the new hire is performing to a satisfactory level in their first month. During this 30 day review, you’ll want to understand their work ethic, competency, dependability, and communication. You’ll also want to determine how you or your team can better support the new hire’s ability to successfully fulfill their duties.
30 Day Review Questions
With these 30 day review and evaluation questions, you’ll get an idea of how your new employee is performing, what support they need, what challenges they’re experiencing, their thoughts on the current onboarding program, and how they’re acclimating to the new work environment.
Remember: The goal of the 30 day review is to determine if there are any issues or problems that you can resolve to ensure you’re able to keep your new hire engaged and retain them as long as possible.
You can use these 30 day review template questions or to help you come up with your own 30 day review questions:
- So far, is this job what you expected it to be?
- Are you currently feeling challenged by your role? Are you becoming bored?
- Do you feel like you’ve received access to all of the information, tools, and resources you need to complete your responsibilities?
- Have you felt welcomed by your new team?
- Have there been any roadblocks or challenges with performing your duties? If yes, what?
- Have you found communicating with your team to be a simple process?
- How has your team helped with your onboarding experience?
- Are there any specific tools or training sessions that you think would help you be more successful?
- How have you liked the company culture so far? What do you think could be improved?
- Moving forward, what would you like to accomplish in the next 30 days?
- Do you have any expertise or experience that you think could be better utilized?
- Are there any adjustments that you’d like to make to your role or workflow to be more successful?
- Is there anything else you’d like for me to know?
Final Thoughts: 30 Day Review Questions
Conducting 30 day performance reviews with new hires is essential to ensure that they’re engaged and happy at your company. Leverage these 30 day evaluation questions to discover if your new hire is experiencing any challenges, and then work with your team to “course correct.”
Use Checkster’s New Hire Insights solution to automatically send your new hires 30 day evaluations to streamline the performance review process. With Checkster’s New Hire Insights, your reviews will be easier for new hires to complete and easier for the organization to leverage the insights. . We also make it simple to see trends in your review feedback, so you can identify the strengths and weaknesses in your onboarding process.
To see how Checkster New Hire Insights can improve the 30 day review process at your company, you can set up a demo here.